If you know or have a child in school, you might ask yourself what or who is a school counselor? The definition provided by the American School Counselor Association (ASCA) is “School counselors are certified/licensed educators who improve student success for ALL students by implementing a comprehensive school counseling program.” You might still be confused about who the school counselor is or what is their role at the school site. It is your lucky day because I am here to explain who the school counselor is, the role of the School Counselor, and how the school counselors benefit students.
Who is the School Counselor?
School counseling takes place in a public and private school setting in grades P-12 addressing academic achievement, career, and social/emotional development of all students. They are vital members of the educational team and ensure that all students become the productive well-adjusted adults of tomorrow. They also support students who are experiencing personal or academic challenges, help provide resources for students to choose a career and plan for college, and assist students who face physical or mental health challenges.
The role of the school counselor:
School counselors uphold the ethical and professional standards of ASCA by following the national model to define, deliver, manage, and assess. These standards help promote the development of the school counseling program to improve student outcomes. Parents often wonder what is it that school counselors do on a daily basis. School counselors spend 80% of their time in direct services such as providing core curriculum, individual student planning, and providing responsive services. The remaining 20% is devoted to indirect services such as program planning and providing school support.
How the school counselors benefit students:
School counselors benefit students by providing support in the following areas:
o Help students with academic and goal setting such as planning for post-secondary options (higher education, military, or workforce)
o Manage emotions and apply interpersonal skills
o Improve student success for all students by guiding students to apply academic achievement strategies
o Assist students with short-term counseling
Indirect services that benefit student include:
o Analysis data to identify students issues, needs, and challenges
o Advocate for students at educational plan and students focused meetings
o Collaborate for student success with families, teachers, community, and administrators