More than 50 Los Angeles City firefighters responded to a fire at the Orange Grove Mobile Home Park at Celis and S. Lazard streets in the City of San Fernando around noon on Tuesday, Nov. 14. The fire, which was extinguished in about 20 minutes, destroyed one home, damaged two others and injured one resident, who was taken to a local hospital.
“There is no foul play suspected at this time,” said LAFD Battalion Chief Scott Hilton after the fire. He credited the companies that responded with a successful “aggressive attack on the fire.”
“We were able to get lines in place to get water on the fire significantly fast and search the premises for any other potential victims,” added Hilton.
Karen Soto, who lived in one of the fire-damaged mobile homes with her mother and brother, spoke with the San Fernando Sun/el Sol shortly after the fire. She said her mother called her while she was in class at CSUN and she rushed home. By the time she arrived, the fire had been put out.
Soto said she was relieved her mother and her two dogs made it out safely, but still found a great material loss. The fire burned the back of their mobile home, including her room. “I lost everything,” she said.
LAFD is currently investigating the fire and has not released additional information.
A GoFundMe page was started to help support the affected families: www.gofundme.com/f/lets-help-2-families-get-back-in-their-feet.