(Family Features) Plant-forward eating should be easy and delicious – and it can be. Rather than follow strict rules, simply add plant foods like fruits, vegetables, nuts, beans and grains to more meals throughout the day.
Walnuts, for example, are a kitchen multi-tasker with uses well beyond baked goods. In fact, walnuts can be used as a simple, whole-food meat alternative. One ounce of walnuts contains important nutrients including 4 grams of protein, 2 grams of fiber, 2.5 grams of monounsaturated fat, 13 grams of polyunsaturated fat and 2.5 grams of essential omega-3 alpha-linolenic acid.
Try walnuts as an alternative to meat in recipes like Walnut Meatless Meatballs or Pizza with Plant-Based Walnut Crumble, and find more plant-forward recipes at walnuts.org/plantrecipes.
Walnut Meatless Meatballs
Total time: 42 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup California Walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted red peppers
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 375 F and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In small skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and garlic; saute 1 minute. Add tomato paste and cook 1 minute. Transfer to food processor with walnuts, rice, roasted red peppers, breadcrumbs, Parmesan, Italian seasoning, parsley and egg. Pulse until combined but not mushy.
- Form into eight equal balls and place on prepared baking sheet. Cook 12 minutes, or until firm to touch. Serve with sauce of choice.
Pizza with Plant-Based Walnut Crumble
Total time: 38 minutes
Walnut Sausage Crumble:
- 1 cup California Walnuts
- 1/2 cup cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
Walnut Sausage Pizza:
- 1 pound pizza dough
- 6 tablespoons pizza sauce
- 2/3 cup mozzarella cheese, divided
- Walnut Sausage Crumble, divided
- 6 tablespoons pesto
- 1/4 cup sliced small tomatoes
- fresh basil leaves
- shaved Parmesan cheese
- To make Walnut Sausage Crumble: In food processor, pulse walnuts, cannellini beans, coconut aminos, olive oil, fennel seeds, seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika and salt to sausage like consistency.
- To make Walnut Sausage Pizza: Preheat oven to 500 F and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Divide dough into four pieces and roll out into thin ovals; place on baking sheets.
- Spread two dough pieces with equal amounts pizza sauce, 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese and half of Walnut Sausage Crumble.
- Spread remaining dough pieces with pesto, remaining cheese, remaining Walnut Sausage Crumble and tomatoes.
- Bake 8 minutes, or until pizza edges are golden brown. Garnish with basil leaves and shaved Parmesan.