SAN FERNANDO (CNS) — A Panorama City man has been convicted of murdering his wife with a machete in an attack caught on surveillance video and forcing his way into his neighbors’ apartment, where a couple and their teenage son were injured.
Jurors deliberated about two hours before finding David Ernesto Rodriguez, now 38, guilty of first-degree murder for the June 22, 2019, attack on his 32-year-old wife, Karla, in the courtyard of the apartment complex, according to Deputy District Attorney Julie Kramer.
“You can see the whole murder on video,” the prosecutor said.
Rodriguez then forced his way into the neighbors’ apartment and attacked the man, who lost an eye and suffered injuries to his nose and arm, Kramer said. The man’s wife and then 17-year-old son were also injured when they tried to intervene.
Along with the murder, Rodriguez was convicted of one count each of attempted murder, mayhem and burglary and two counts of assault with a deadly weapon.
Jurors acquitted the defendant of a second mayhem charge — this one involving the teenager.
The prosecutor said there was no evidence presented to support Rodriguez’s claim that he believed his wife was having some form of relationship with the adult male neighbor.
Rodriguez was arrested early that morning by Los Angeles police and has remained behind bars since then.
He is facing at least 26 years to life in state prison, with sentencing set for Sept. 8 in a San Fernando courtroom.