(CNS) — Authorities have identified a man who police say fatally shot his wife and himself in their Chatsworth home, where the couple’s two young children were found more than three days after their parents’ deaths.

The children, a toddler and an infant, were not physically injured but “were admitted to a local area hospital for observation,” according to the Los Angeles Police Department.

The children were placed in the custody of the county Department of Children and Family Services.

On Sunday, April 14, officers went to a residence in the 9100 block of Foster Lance more than once before finding the parents dead in the upstairs bedroom, both due to gunshot wounds, according to the LAPD. The preliminary investigation revealed the husband — identified by the coroner’s office as 46-year-old David Kooros Parsa — shot his 38-year-old wife as she lay in bed before shooting himself, police said.

The woman’s name was withheld, pending notification of her next-of-kin.

Neighbors said they heard an argument at the home late Wednesday night or early Thursday, then two loud blasts. But a spokesman for the LAPD Valley Homicide Division said detectives received no other calls about a potential crime scene until the suspect’s father called police on Sunday, and asked them to do a welfare check.

When the first police arrived there on Sunday, the spokesman said there was nothing visible to indicated a crime had been committed, and detectives had no probable cause to enter the home, neighbor Tony Medina told the media.

Investigators spoke again with the suspect’s father. He then contacted the real estate agent with access to the property, who brought out a locksmith to open the door.

It was then the crime scene was revealed and homicide investigators were called, the spokesman said.

Medina said the baby was barely breathing when found, but he was told she was hospitalized in “stable condition.” He said he and his wife took care of the older child until she was taken to a hospital.

“We cleaned her up, we fed her,” Medina said. “Obviously she was hungry and dehydrated.”

Medina said police interviewed the girl about the shooting and she told officers that she heard a loud noise, then said her “mommy was crying” and “mommy was broken.”