Photo / LAPD

After Mirek Voyt was arrested in connection with a 2001 sexual assault, investigators have released an older images of Voyt, shown in 1997 (left) and 2012, to determine whether he had any additional victims. 

SAN FERNANDO (CNS) — A Hollywood man who kidnapped a 14-year-old boy from a San Fernando Valley street in 2001 and sexually assaulted him was sentenced today to 35 years to life in prison.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Hayden Zacky lashed out at the defendant, Mirek Paul Voyt, 55, saying the crime destroyed the life of the victim — who was convicted five years later of murder and sentenced to life in prison.

Voyt “stole his innocence … his chance to become a productive member of society,” Zacky said Wednesday, Feb. 14. “Because of this, he (the victim) went off the rails. He could have been a doctor. … We’ll never know.”

Deputy District Attorney Julie Kramer said the victim in the case, now 31, was convicted of murder in 2006 when he was 19.

A jury in San Fernando deliberated about 2 1/2 hours before finding Voyt guilty Jan. 11 of two felony counts — one count of kidnapping to commit oral copulation and/or sodomy and one count of forcible oral copulation, Kramer said.

Jurors also found true allegations of personal use of a firearm, aggravated kidnapping and tying and binding the victim, according to the prosecutor.

Voyt was arrested Feb. 14, 2017, at his home after being linked through DNA evidence to the attack in Northridge.

The teen was walking with another boy about 9:45 a.m. June 22, 2001, near the intersection of Chase Street and Vanalden Avenue when a man armed with a handgun confronted them, Los Angeles Police Department Capt. William Hayes said shortly after Voyt’s arrest.

One of the boys managed to flee, but the other was kidnapped and sexually assaulted before he was released, the captain said.

Voyt lived within a short distance of the intersection where the abduction occurred, and investigators said he took the boy to his home after abducting him and blindfolding him.

According to media reports, investigators were able to charge Voyt after his conviction for stealing money from the grocery chain where he worked. Because Voyt had been convicted of a felony, his DNA sample was placed into a statewide data base. It was a match for DNA evidence collected from the 2001 assault.

Investigators then re-interviewed the victim, and were able to obtain a warrant for Voyt’s arrest.

 At the time of his arrest, Voyt was working in a management position for a grocery store chain, and since 2001 has lived in various locations in the Los Angeles area, Hayes  said.

“This was a really tragic case,” Zacky said during the sentencing hearing. “Mr. Voyt thought he got away with it. But due to the hard work and perseverance of the detectives, justice has been served.”

The San Fernando Valley Sun/El Sol contributed to this report.